On Thursday July 27, the CPSC will host a hybrid forum on lithium-ion battery safety, specifically focusing on fires in e-bikes and other micromobility products as well as the fire risks that may arise with the growing consumer market for other products containing such batteries.
The list of participants includes:
- Alexander Hoehn-Saric, Chair CPSC (Opening Remarks)
- Senator Chuck Schumer (Introductory Video)
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (Introductory Video)
- Representative Ritchie Torres (Introductory Video)
- Commissioner Laura Kavanaugh, Fire Department of New York (Panelist)
- Dr. Judy Jeevarajan, Vice President and Executive Director, UL Research Institutes, Electrochemical Safety Research Institute (Panelist)
- Dr. Michael Pecht, Director and Distinguished Professor, Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering (CALCE), University of Maryland (Panelist)
- Drew J. Pereira, Ph.D., Research and Development Manager, Soteria Battery Innovation Group (Panelist)
- Matt Moore, General and Policy Counsel, PeopleForBikes Coalition (Panelist)
- Michael Fritz, Chief Technology Officer, Human Powered Solutions (on behalf of the National Bicycle Dealers Association) (Panelist)
- Lorraine Carli, Vice President – Outreach and Advocacy, National Fire Protection Association (Panelist)
- Robert Slone, Senior Vice President and Chief Scientist, UL Solutions (Panelist)
- Michael Becker, Manager, Technical Specialist Energy Storage, CSA Group (Panelist)
- Jeff Jambois, Electrical Compliance Engineer, Trek Bicycle (Panelist)
- George Kerchner, Executive Director, PRBA – The Rechargeable Battery Association (Panelist)
- Brandon Martin, Vice President of Battery and Electric Products and Industry Affairs, Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) (Panelist)
- Heather Mason, President, National Bicycle Dealers Association (Panelist)
- Gabe Knight, Safety Policy Analyst, Consumer Reports (Panelist)
The hybrid forum will be held in person at CPSC’s headquarters located at Bethesda Towers Building, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814 and remotely via webinar at 10 a.m. Eastern time on July 27. CPSC Commissioners will have an opportunity to ask questions of the panelists. All virtual attendees should pre-register for the webinar online at: https://cpsc.webex.com/weblink/register/rafcc9fee7d4a7f3d2c8149be4d9436e2. In-person attendees need not register for the forum.
For more information on micromobility see the Micromobility Whitepaper published by Crowell & Moring.